Re: Dorsey's Turned C-cedilla

From: John Cowan (
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 06:53:42 CDT

D. Starner scripsit:

> But he also uses a turned c-cedilla. Should it be encoded as a new character

> Or should a turned combining cedilla be encoded,

Not if this is the only use of it, I think.

> or is U+0312 just that?

It's similar, but the combining class of U+0312 is 230, indicating that
it is a detached diacritic rather than attached like a cedilla.
If it were attached, it would belong to the currently empty combining
class 214.

> (If it were my language, I wouldn't be happy with
> U+0312, but I doubt anyone is attached enough to Dorsey's orthography to
> care about the difference.)

Not even Dorsey, it seems; his field notes are in a different orthography
altogether, and the "Dorsey orthography" of his publications was
apparently imposed on him by the BAE and its printers.

"Take two turkeys, one goose, four              John Cowan
cabbages, but no duck, and mix them
together. After one taste, you'll duck
soup the rest of your life."