Re: New contribution

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 11:15:16 CDT

On 04/05/2004 11:52, Michael Everson wrote:

> At 09:43 -0700 2004-05-04, Peter Kirk wrote:
>
>>> Mark Shoulson did a test today with a group of well-educated young
>>> Hebrew-speaking computer programmers. They did not recognize it.
>>

>> Thanks for the data. These are I suppose American Jews. A fairer test
>> might be among Israeli native speakers of Hebrew.
>

> (*jaw drops*)
>
> Excuse me?
>
> I don't think I am going to be able to discuss user communities of the
> Universal Character Set with you if this kind of exclusivist rubbish
> is what you think can possibly apply.

I am not being exclusivist. I am simply pointing out that script
recognition may vary from country to country. Some American native
speakers of English might have trouble recognising English written in
Celtic type script. You would find much less such difficulty among
native speakers of English in Ireland.

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)