Unicode support

From: R.C. Bakhuizen van den Brink [Rein] (dziewon@xs4all.nl)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 13:04:34 CDT

thanks Tom,

the issue is that there is no issue - it's a 'fait accompli' -
at least within this group.

As you said, ISO-8859-2 would be fine for Polish [Mac CE and
Windows CE are not the same, all aogonek display as sacute to
name a few problems]. But that is still a 8-bits encoding.
And that's how it's gonna be for a long time notwithstanding
the drive the 21-bits people exert.

In my neighbourhood most printing works still rely on PostScript
fonts - whether they're prejudiced or not- and don't want to use
the Unicode enhanced TrueType's. The typographical superiority of
PS is obvious to them, and OpenType would be a bridge too far.

My issue would be that within Western-Europe [or the US] there is no
acceptance for anything but ISO-8859-1 [or rather the Win 1252 variant]
so a first step would be a 16-bits encoding [which is what M$ offered in
Word [8] c.s.] Alas, Unicode pandits have left for 21-odd bits or more.
In the mean time having devised normalised forms which means that all
precomposed is to be deprecated sooner [rather] or/than later.

The gap is getting bigger and bigger between the ordinary users in the
Latin script world and what I called the Unicode Avantgarde. They do
realize this of course but are so convinced that theirs is the only way...

groetjes, Rein