Multilingual keyboard to be catastrophic? (was: "Re: Proposal to add 2 Romanian characters")

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 09:24:26 CST

On 2004.04.27, 07:41, Cristian Secarã <orice@secarica.ro> wrote:

> On the other hand, a passive presence of a valid [extremely rarely
> used] character that can be obtained by an <existing_dead_key> +
> <existing_character_on_keyboadr> is not such a catastrophic thing
> either,

OTOH, it seems to be a good thing, IMHO. In the usual pt-PT keyboard,
f.i., we have five dead keys (´`¨~^) and these support a lot of
characters that are NOT used in Portuguese spelling: ýäëïöèìòùñîû.

Indeed all combinations of those five combining characters with any
base letter present in ISO:8859-1 are implemented, allowing for
correct spelling of French, Italian, Dutch and English, plus also
Castillian (but for "¿¡") and German (but for "ß").

Nothing catastrophic about this!

P.S.: With Keyman I extended this to all possible combinations (using
precomposed Unicode chars when avaliable, for the time being), adding
also other diacriticals (hacheck, brachia, macron etc) to RAlt + dead
keys. Too bad Keyman still messes the NumPad for pt-PT keyboards. :-(

-- ____.
António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
<antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
PT-1XXX-XXX LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
+351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |