Re: TR35 (was: Standardize TimeZone ID

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 14:45:42 CDT

That is not a problem. The Olson IDs are not guaranteed to be unique, just
unambiguous. And there are aliases. Typically these are de-unified for political
purposes. Thus you may find that two different IDs produce the same results over
the entire period of time in the database.

Moreover, whether or not someone wants to consider two IDs as 'equivalent'
depends on their timeframe. If I only care about the last 5 years, then many
more IDs fall into the same equivalence class than if I look over the entire
period of time covered by Olson.

While I do not believe that the database is perfect, there is no need to invent
yet another mechanism.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄