Re: Hooks and Curls and Bars, oh my (was: New contribution)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 17:54:09 CDT

At 14:25 -0400 2004-05-07, Ernest Cline wrote:

>If the IPA is Latin, then so is Fraser.

Nope.

>IIRC (altho I'm only 60-70% certain I am recalling correctly here
>that it was you and not someone else on this list) you indicated
>that you believe Fraser should be a separate script.

I do indeed.

>Both base their glyph repertoire on that of Latin, but have features
>such as a lack of casing and a stricter glyph definition that make
>disunification from Latin desirable IMO.

Nope.

Any number of Latin letters used in the IPA also have casing
partners, used in other languages. IPA enjoys normal Latin typeface
variety: there are serif, sans-serif, and typerwriter IPA fonts
available, and bold and italic are commonly met with.

None of that richness seems to apply to Fraser.