Re: Phoenician

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 15:18:06 CDT

            Elaine Keown
            Tucson

    Cher Monsieur Verdy, Michael Everson, Jony Rosenne,
    and List:

    Thank you Philippe for taking the time to explain. I
    originally wanted to be a digital lexicographer, so I
    am interested in perfect collation.

    And Michael Everson wrote:
    > Not in the default template; we don't mix scripts.
    > But Semiticists who wanted to mix the two could

    I assume that Philippe's 'DUCET' and Michael Everson's
    "default template" refer to the same item. And
    Unicode-compliant software will support DUCET.

    John Cowan wrote:
    > given an alphabetized list of words, some of which
    > are Phoenician (including Palaeo-Hebrew, Punic, the
    > whole ball of wax) and some of which are
    > Square, you won't have all the Square words in one
    > section and the P. words in the other (which is what

    What John Cowan is describing is what Semitists would
    like, ideally. But ideally we want this type of
    collation for all 70 Semitic languages (including the
    ~12 extinct ones) and also for Ancient Egyptian, which
    is a close cousin, though not actually Semitic.

    So ideal software for Semitists would collate as John
    Cowan suggests and also retrieve across all 70
    languages, no matter what their script(s).

    Elaine