Re: Katakana_Or_Hiragana

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 13:15:27 CDT

    Michael Everson scripsit:

    > Phoenician and Hebrew should not be interfiled, of course, in the
    > default table, though John Cowan seems to think otherwise.

    "'Seems', monsieur? Nay, 'does'; I know not 'seems'."
            --Not Quite Hamlet

    The point is, of course, that if Phoenician is to be used to represent
    palaeo-Hebrew (as I agree is correct), then it will create an artificial
    separation to *not* interfile them. Consider a concordance to your
    Phoenician-script-Tetragrammaton Bibles. Such Tetras should not appear
    at the beginning, nor yet at the end, but under "yod" where they belong.
    This will also be of great value in the other application of collation,
    viz. searching.

    Those who use Phoenician primarily contrastively with Greek will want them
    filed separately, and my proposal will sort Phoenician words after Greek
    ones.

    --
    John Cowan                              <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              http://www.reutershealth.com