Re: TR35

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 05:47:51 CDT

    From: "Antoine Leca" <Antoine10646@leca-marti.org>
    > On Tuesday, May 11, 2004 6:59 PM, Philippe Verdy va escriure:
    > > This code is meant
    > > to designate the language variant as spoken in that area, but not for
    > > identifying a location.
    >
    > I am very sorry, but if in
    > LANG=fr; LC_MONETARY=es_ES
    > you consider that _ES above is a language variant of Spanish Castilian as
    > different from Hispanoamerican, you are deeply wrong.

    Don't infer things I did not say. I did not mean that. My sentence is valid
    within the context of the [LANG=] setting, not in the context of [LC_MONETARY=].
    Within [LANG=], the country/territory specification is a language variant
    specifier, which may or may not work well to designate other localizable
    elements.

    In fact even if you used [LANG=es_ES], this may not mean only Catillan: there
    are other variants of Spanish in Spain (even if you exclude regional languages
    like Basque, Catalan, Occitan, Galician, which have also their own variants
    independant of [LANG=es] Spanish).

    [LANG=] in your example is unambiguously specifying the French language (but no
    implied country/territory, and thus not Spanis) and is then used as the default
    for other locale settings; [LC_MONETARY=] will never have a semantic for
    language or language-variant selection, it is really meant to designate the
    currency used in Spain, and formated according to currency format in Spain (the
    [es] prefix has no real function here except that it just selects the best
    script to use for digits and decimal separator and grouping) for spelling
    currency amounts, French terms would still be used according to [LANG], in
    reference to the Spanish currency (now the Euro, same as in France).

    Should the [LC_MONETARY=] setting be left unspecified, the currency settings
    would inherit from the language setting in [LANG=], that does not specify the
    territory (so the currency will be left unspecified to some defaults, using the
    digits, dot and comma as used in French, most probably in France here).

    The POSIX settings are very language-centric with [LANG=] used as the root
    setting used as the default for for other specialized settings (the only
    exception being [TZ=] for the timezone, which can't be infered correctly and
    easily from a language or even a territory).