RE: interleaved ordering (was RE: Phoenician)

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@cs.chalmers.se)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 08:51:24 CDT

    > >And it might make sense to interleave (say) Thai and Lao in the
    > >default ordering.
    >
    > No, it wouldn't.

    That's not an argument...

    > >Or to interleave, in the default ordering, the Indic scripts
    > covered by ISCII.
    >
    > No, it wouldn't!

    Nor is that...

    > >Any pecularities could be handled in tailorings.
    >
    > Such interleaving is the peculiarity. It renders an ordered text
    > illegible to interleave Kannada, Sinhala, and Gujarati.

    Why? If the text that is ordered is in just one of the scripts,
    the result is of couse in that one script. If the input is in
    multiple (Indic) scripts, and let's assume that the audience
    (which may be a single person just asking for an sorted list
    of his/her files) can read the Indic scripts used, it may be
    helpful to interleave. (But I will not push this.)

    B.t.w. interleaving Phoenecian and (square) Hebrew has the same
    property; yet that was mentioned by Ken as a possibility...
    (Even for the "default" table.)

                    /kent k