Re: [BULK] - Re: Interleaved collation of related scripts

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 14:47:22 CDT

    At 12:08 -0700 2004-05-14, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >ell, I accepted somewhat reluctantly that Phoenician should be
    >separately encoded because a small number of users want it to be,
    >although a majority apparently do not want it to be.

    I really don't know if those who spoke for the "majority" were really
    representative of a real "majority".

    >This would not be an acceptable position if Unicode intended to
    >force all users of Phoenician to move immediately to the new script
    >- although it would actually make much more sense to do so.

    Unicode doesn't force people to do anything. (Well, apart from using
    smart font technology for a lot of scripts, but that's not relevant
    here.) Unicode makes characters available for those who wish to use
    them.