Re: Middle stroke of U+042D

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 21:02:21 CDT

    On 2004.05.15, 05:41, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > Most people are not typographers or typography experts. Most, in
    > fact, are not the slightest bit interested in typography issues.

    Precisely my point.

    So, since normal Russians are unaware of the variation in the middle
    stroke of U+042D, and since russian typographers consider it a purely
    decorative item, why would Mongolians think otherwise?

    Indeed, if their goal were to deviate from Russian typographic
    tradition they wouldn't have adopted the Cyrillic script in the first
    place, right?...

    What's then the story behind the alternate glyph for U+042D and its
    rationale in the SIL Doulos font as given by the online document
    <Doulos SIL 4.0 Font Documentation.pdf>?

    >> Provides alternates for Cyrillic letters with the central
    >> horizontal stroke slightly curved, as is appropriate for Mongolian.

    Cf. http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?site_id=nrsi&format=file&media_id=DoulosSIL4.0.10.zipˆj

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    PT-1XXX-XXX LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |