Re: ISO-15924 script nodes and UAX#24 script IDs

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 23:43:12 CDT

    Bob Richmond, wearing a shirt that says "saqqara" <saqqara at csi dot
    com> wrote:

    > While we are here, will Coptic disunification imply restoration of
    > Coptic to the ISO-15924 list (it was there at one time, number 205 in
    > a 1998 draft) or will you stick with private use Qaac per UTR #24?

    I hadn't noticed that Coptic had been removed. I should check these
    lists more carefully.

    Michael will undoubtedly have his reasons, but it certainly does seem
    strange to talk about Coptic being disunified from Greek while at the
    same time its ISO 15924 code has been removed -- implying a conscious
    decision, not like it was just overlooked -- especially when variants of
    Latin and Syriac do have codes but are not considered different scripts.

    "Qaac" for Coptic isn't in the current UAX #24 sample list, which was
    pared down to prevent people like me from thinking it was a complete
    normative list, but it was in the previous version (which was a UTR).

    Funny moment: The Unicode Web site search engine couldn't find this
    earlier version, nor any other text containing the string "Qaac," but it
    did helpfully report that "English does not appear to be the language of
    your Search Phrase." Gee, you don't think?

    At least "Qaac" doesn't conflict with any of my suggested ISO 15924
    private-use codes for ConScript. :-)

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/