Re: ISO 15924 "code"s and "ID"s

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 11:19:30 CDT

    At 08:59 -0700 2004-05-20, Peter Constable wrote:
    >Could someone please explain why the data tables for ISO 15924 list both
    >"codes" and "ID"s? ("ID"s are not discussed in the text of the
    >standard.)

    The Registration Authority (The Unicode Consortium) requested it be
    added to that tables. Perhaps additional wording is needed somewhere
    to explain it. I would welcome specific suggestions and wording.

    >I find the inclusion of both under these labels somewhat less than
    >ideal. The term "code" is not consistently used. Most people do use
    >"code" to refer to a symbol (such as an alpha-4 string) that denotes
    >some entity or category; and some standards also use the term in that
    >way. But other standards use "code" to refer to a collection of such
    >symbols. For instance, ISO 639-1 clearly treats "code" as the
    >collection, and calls the individual entries "code elements"; the
    >alpha-2 symbols in ISO 639-1 are "identifiers".

    There is no solving the problem of the use of "code" in the TC37 and
    TC46 standards. That is an old, old argument.