Re: ISO 15924 "code"s and "ID"s

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 11:19:30 CDT

    At 08:59 -0700 2004-05-20, Peter Constable wrote:
    >Could someone please explain why the data tables for ISO 15924 list both
    >"codes" and "ID"s? ("ID"s are not discussed in the text of the

    The Registration Authority (The Unicode Consortium) requested it be
    added to that tables. Perhaps additional wording is needed somewhere
    to explain it. I would welcome specific suggestions and wording.

    >I find the inclusion of both under these labels somewhat less than
    >ideal. The term "code" is not consistently used. Most people do use
    >"code" to refer to a symbol (such as an alpha-4 string) that denotes
    >some entity or category; and some standards also use the term in that
    >way. But other standards use "code" to refer to a collection of such
    >symbols. For instance, ISO 639-1 clearly treats "code" as the
    >collection, and calls the individual entries "code elements"; the
    >alpha-2 symbols in ISO 639-1 are "identifiers".

    There is no solving the problem of the use of "code" in the TC37 and
    TC46 standards. That is an old, old argument.

    Michael Everson * * Everson Typography *  *