Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Ted Hopp (ted.hopp@newslate.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 10:53:41 CDT

    On Thursday, May 20, 2004 10:45 PM, John Hudson wrote:
    Subject: Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?
    > It
    > must seem pretty obvious to engineers that this is a standard for encoding
    characters and
    > that implementing support for the standard does not, per se, imply much of
    anything about
    > how users should encode text. This is perhaps less obvious to
    non-engineers -- i.e. to
    > users --, and understandably so given the typical representation of
    Unicode to this
    > audience: 'Now supports all the world's major living languages!'. It is
    evident from the
    > Phoenician discussion that a good number of people -- intelligent people,
    and experts in
    > particular fields -- expect UTC decisions on what characters to encode to
    influence user
    > decisions on how to encode specific texts. I don't think this expectation
    is unreasonable,
    > given their perception of the standard, and perhaps Unicode needs to do a
    better job in
    > conveying what the standard is and does and how it can be used.

    With all due respect, this is disingenuous. It's like saying that building a
    highway does not, per se, imply much of anything about how housing
    development will take place. Perhaps true in a strictly literal sense, but
    laughable in the real world.

    What are users supposed to do? Ignore the Unicode support implemented in
    commercial software and develop their own encoding tools? Ignore Unicode and
    develop an interchange standard that meets their needs? Unicode decisions
    have far-reaching consequences. Don't minimize the responsibilities that
    come with power.

    Ted

    Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted.hopp@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453

    newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
       ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/