Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 09:13:29 CDT

    At 06:46 -0700 2004-05-22, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >Or are we to expect that as soon as Phoenician is encoded
    >separately, the majority of Semitic scholars who have always opposed
    >this will come under all kinds of pressure to use the encoded script
    >which was added just to meet the requirements of a couple of people,
    >one of whom is not even a Semitic scholar?

    Semiticists do not "own" the Phoenician script. The Universal
    Character Set will encode the important writing systems of the world.
    Phoenician is one of these.

    >The fear is rather that a few people, who are not true Semitic
    >scholars, will embrace the new range, and by doing so will make
    >things much harder for the majority who don't need and don't want
    >the new encoding. One of the original purposes of Unicode was to
    >move away from the old situation in which many different
    >incompatible encodings were used for the same language and script.
    >We don't want to get back into that situation.

    You are already in that situation. Phoenician texts are often written
    in Latin transliteration. I have dozens and dozens of examples.
    Written by honest-to-goodness real Semiticists, too.