Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 07:52:39 CDT

    Mark E. Shoulson wrote at 10:41 PM on Saturday, May 22, 2004:

    >And not a single Hebrew-reader I spoke to,
    >native or not, could even conceive of Paleo-Hebrew being a font-variant
    >of Hebrew. They found the proposition laughable.

    I'm a Hebrew reader, and I consider it a font change.

    I would like to see the evidence to back your assessment.

    I'm guessing none of your test subjects have read Paleo-Hebrew texts,
    like the Dead Sea scroll ones. If not, how can they make judgements on
    this issue? It would be like testing readers of Roman German who had
    never read Fraktur - they wouldn't recognize it as a font change either
    (which it is, of course, in Unicode).

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar