Re: Classification; Phoenician

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 21:14:22 CDT

    Dean Snyder wrote:

    >>It simply doesn't make
    >>sense to me that we should do different things for Semitic than we do
    >>for Indic.

    > Is it not a factor that the Indic "scripts" are in everyday use by living
    > communities?

    Not all of them are. It is, however, a factor that the Indic scripts have varying shaping
    behaviour, not all of which is easily addressable at the glyph level. There is a net
    benefit to text processing and display in not unifying their encoding.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com