Re: Dominoes (Proposal to encode dominoes and other game symbols)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 13:54:23 CDT

    From: <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    > On dominoes: I agree that there is no plain-text distinction between domino
    > orientations, and that it is appropriate to code each domino only once.
    > It would even be possible to code each half-domino only once.
    > If this is not done, I also agree that a single convention such as
    > low-end-leftmost should be chosen so that CSS glyph rotation will produce
    > consistent results.

    For African people, they will want a representation for traditional Awele bowls
    (played with dried seeds).

    For Asiatic people, they will want their own dominoes, the Mahjongs, which are
    intermediate between card decks and dominoes, with well-known series, and small
    trump-like series (flowers, winds...). Same problem about orientation, but I'm
    not sure how one would represent the 3D constructions... Unless there are games
    using them in a 2D surface.