RE: Proposal to encode dominoes and other game symbols

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 14:06:47 CDT

    At 14:55 -0400 2004-05-25, Ernest Cline wrote:

    >Based on the example of the 11 point checker font given in Figure
    >11, NamesList.txt should include glosses as follows:
    >
    >1FF36 WHITE DRAUGHTS MAN
    > x (white medium circle - 26AA)
    >1FF37 WHITE DRAUGHTS KING
    > x (bullseye - 25CE)
    >1FF38 BLACK DRAUGHTS MAN
    > x (black medium circle - 26AB)
    >1FF39 BLACK DRAUGHTS KING
    > x (fisheye -25C9)
    >
    >[This assumes that the medium circles in the pipeline and the
    >draughts characters in the proposal are added at their proposed
    >positions.)

    I would reject such a unification (though I see that glosses to dot
    imply a unification). Certainly those are not the traditional shapes
    used; the larger 3D ones are by far and away more common. Indeed I
    have never seen the tiny ones in use. 11 point is very small in lead
    type, that is why they made use of those sorts (which were doubtless
    created for very different purposes).