Re: Fraktur Legibility (was Re: Response to Everson Phoenician)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 01:06:46 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    >> 2) I used only capital letters, since they mirror more closely the
    >> legibility issues associated with Old Canaanite legibility.
    >
    > Invalidating your "test" because German Fraktur of that style was not
    > typically set in all caps, and native Germans fluent in Fraktur would
    > have had trouble reading it.

    Which is what I was planning to say. I would have added that Fraktur
    typesetters in past centuries created "all-caps" words by capitalizing
    only the first TWO letters of the word, such was the difficulty *anyone*
    would have reading Fraktur in all caps as Dean Snyder displayed it.

    So far, so good. But then Dean responded:

    > So, you are saying there are glyph streams in German Fraktur that
    > fluent, native Germans would have trouble reading. Then, based on
    > reasoning being applied to Phoenician, Fraktur (or at least Fraktur
    > capitals) should be separately encoded.

    This reply is so completely devoid of logic and reason that it's clear
    to me that any counter-reply based on logic and reason will fall on deaf
    ears. I will not participate further in this thread, nor any of its
    ancestors and descendants. Have fun, guys.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/