Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 08:29:00 CDT

    Peter Kirk wrote:

    > If Fraktur and ordinary Latin are the same script, then it couldn't be
    > said that the Germans abandoned the Fraktur script after WWII. Yet,
    > that is what available references say did happen. Well, I haven't
    > checked, but I remember reading this kind of thing.

    Fraktur was dropped during the *middle* of the war . On 3 January 1941
    Martin Bormann declared Fraktur to be /"Judenlettern"/ (Jewish letters)
    and prohibited it's further use. The fact that this style of script was
    abandoned overnight and other styles of Latin script used is a pretty
    clear indication that they are the same script (unless you subscribe to
    Bormann's theory).

    Blackletter fonts were originally designed to look like the elaborate
    calligraphy of mediaeval monks. Elaborate calligraphic forms of many
    scripts can be difficult to read unless you are familiar with them - but
    that doesn't make them a different script in the sense of that word as
    used in iso10646 & Unicode.

    Fraktur is one kind of Blackletter. The first Fraktur typeface was
    designed for books published by Emperor Maximilian I (1459-1519). The
    name Fraktur comes from the Latin /frangere/ ("to break"), /fractus/
    ("broken") - It is not surprising that a type style with a name
    originally meaning broken or fractured is a little difficult to read if
    you are not familiar with it.

    - Chris