Re: Why Fraktur is irrelevant (was RE: Fraktur Legibility (was Re: Response to Everson Phoenician)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 15:08:12 CDT

    On 26/05/2004 11:56, Peter Constable wrote:

    >>From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    >>

    >On Behalf
    >

    >>Of Dean Snyder
    >>

    >>>Can we agree to drop the discussion of Fraktur now?
    >>>

    >>A better way to put this, and the only reason I brought up Fraktur to
    >>begin with, is to ask, Can we agree to drop the legibility argument
    >>

    >for
    >

    >>Phoenician? Or at least use it consistent with its use for other
    >>

    >scripts
    >

    >>encoded in Unicode?
    >>

    >Legibility is *one* consideration. Certainly we must use it consistently
    >wrt PH as for other cases. But now that we have established what that
    >means (some people find PH used for Hebrew text to be illegible, so
    >distinct encoding *may* be warranted), we don't need to refer to Fraktur
    >any further to apply it to PH.

    If we can all agree that legibility is not a sufficient criterion on its
    own for encoding Phoenician and Palaeo-Hebrew separately, then let's
    indeed move on and see if there are any other technical arguments for
    separate encoding. I don't remember seeing any. This seems to suggest to
    me that there is no technical justification for the proposal. Can we
    agree on that?

    If so, we need to ask a more general question: should the UTC encode
    scripts for which there is a (small, in this case) demand but no
    technical justification?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)