Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 05:49:08 CDT

    Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

    > Just for some more confusion to add, I note that with the distaste later
    > Pharisaic Judaism had for the Old Hebrew script, there comes a fairly
    > well-accepted, if unsupportable, thesis that the Law was actually
    > *originally* given in Square Hebrew ("Assyrian Script"), which was then
    > changed/forgotten when Israel sinned, and later still restored. See
    > http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/t08/t0805.htm for some Talmudic
    > discussion of the matter.

    "Who are meant by Idiots? Said R. Hisda: The Samaritans."

    This passage does make me wonder if there wasn't something like a
    political motive for disunification 2,000+ years ago, and the Old Hebrew
    script was avoided for sacred texts just because the Samaritans used it
    (even though the translation of "Hediotim" by "Idiots" is probably too
    strong)