Re: Interesting Timing

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 12:26:03 CDT

    Dean Snyder wrote,

    > I just saw the following posting on the Ancient Near Eastern email list.
    >
    > Interesting in light of the Phoenician and Archaic Greek discussions here, no?
    >
    > Notice the striking non-use of the term "Phoenician" in the conference
    > title, using "West Semitic" instead.

    Since its focus is Greek and touches on all manner of scripts from the
    region, including certain hieroglyphs, syllabaries, and so forth; and
    Phoenician is but one of the lesser, related topics, the non-use of the
    term "Phoenician" in the conference title isn't striking.

    > Maybe we should wait to see what comes out of this conference.

    If you mean wait on the Phoenician proposal rather than wait to float
    an archaic Greek proposal, then...

    If nothing relevant to Phoenician computer encoding comes out of this
    writing conference, should we wait for next year's conference?

    Best regards,

    James Kass