Re: Proposal to encode dominoes and other game symbols

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 04:13:38 CDT

    Quoting "Andrew C. West" <andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu>:

    > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:50:53 -0700, "Doug Ewell" wrote:
    > >
    > > I bet if someone took the trouble to look through enough children's
    > > literature and driver's testing materials, they could find at least one
    > > document that uses the STOP SIGN inline in a sentence, and that could be
    > > cited as sufficient evidence that it should be encoded.
    >
    > And perhaps Michael would be kind enough to prepare a proposal for traffic
    > signs
    > if you asked nicely ;)

    Since he lives in Ireland where we have an inconsistent mixture of European,
    American and British style road signs he would be well placed to sample a
    considerable range of them ;)

    STOP SIGN used metaphoricly does seem like a reasonable symbol for encoding, but
    the only cases I can think of uses it more as a bullet than as an inline
    symbol, and hence no more justified than OWL and TURKEY would be because of
    their similar use in O'Reilly Associates publications. But sure, go and look
    for examples (not in driver's testing materials - the point there is to
    represent what one would see while driving, so they're clearly pictures in that
    context).

    --
    Jon Hanna
    <http://www.hackcraft.net/>