Re: Script variants and compatibility equivalence, was: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 10:25:38 CDT

    Peter Kirk wrote:

    >> All Hudson is pointing out is that long PRIOR to Unicode, Semitic
    >> scholars reached the conclusion all Semitic languages share the same
    >> 22 characters. A long standing and quite useful conclusion that has
    >> nothing at all to do with your proposal.

    > But I dispute his last sentence. If the writing systems of these
    > languages share the same abstract characters, they form a single script,
    > which conflicts with the proposal to encode Phoenician as a separate
    > script.

    Did you read, also, my messages regarding the perception of instances of a script
    continuum? Restating your perception that the instances of Phoenician and Hebrew represent
    the same 'script' for Unicode purposes is just reverting to the fundamental disagreement
    with those who have stated a desire or need to distinguish such instances in plain text.
    'Script' in Unicode is a generic term that does not necessarily relate to notions of
    script outside Unicode. The determining feature of a Unicode script, i.e. a labelled
    subset of characters, is that it is something that can be differentiated from other
    subsets of characters *in plain text*. Whether things so-differentiated are considered
    individual scripts outside of Unicode isn't very relevant to this usage. Indeed, Unicode
    might have avoided all this debate by not using the term script at all.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com