Re: Revised Phoenician proposal

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 09:52:55 CDT

    Peter Constable scripsit:

    > > > In that sense, treating Phoenician as a script variant of Hebrew
    > > > is a big win for many of the users of the script, since they
    > > > would have a hard time deciphering the bizarre (to them) script
    > > > variant but have no problem reading texts originally written in
    > > > it in different fonts.
    >
    > I didn't understand that statement the first time round, and still am
    > not sure I understand it. (The antecedent for the last occurrence of
    > "it" isn't clear to me, so I'm having difficulty interpreting the whole
    > thing, apart from the matter of whether the point makes sense.)

    I interpret it to mean that if you know Hebrew, you can read text in
    Old Hebrew or Phoenician or whatever, provided you can get past the
    script barrier. For such people, there is some advantage in encoding
    these old texts with Hebrew characters, since a simple font change will
    convert between the authentic and the intelligible.

    By the same token, there would be some advantage to Croats wishing to
    read Serbian if it's encoded in an encoding that can be rendered with
    either Latin or Cyrillic letters (or digraphs); such a thing could
    easily be constructed and mapped to Unicode, thanks to the Croat-specific
    digraph compatibility characters present. That wouldn't make such
    an encoding a Good Thing in the wider world, though.

    --
    He made the Legislature meet at one-horse       John Cowan
    tank-towns out in the alfalfa belt, so that     jcowan@reutershealth.com