Re: Bantu click letters

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 13:44:54 CDT

    At 07:00 AM 6/10/2004, John Cowan wrote:
    >(LATIN LETTER OWL, indeed.)

    This is an interesting symbol as a fairly similar symbol is used in Japan
    to annotate phone numbers - if I correctly understand those that have a
    taped message or automated response system.

    We don't have a symbol for the latter in Unicode, but a quick look at
    modern Japanese material finds instances of this quickly.

    The problem in adding a letter owl by itself is that it invites incorrect,
    shape based mappings from East Asian sets or fonts. We would be better off
    if we could pair the letter owl with a simultaneous but separate addition
    of a technical symbol.

    A./