RE: Bantu click letters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 14:15:58 CDT

    At 11:32 -0700 2004-06-10, Peter Constable wrote:

    >We're talking about the same group of languages. I believe they use
    >similar orthographies.
    >
    > > Also: What about upper case forms?
    >
    >The uppercase of !xhosa is !Xhosa. Uppercase versions of phonetic
    >symbols are a concern only if the phonetic symbols gain currency, which
    >is not the case here.

    True. Though it would be fun to draw some of them.

    I believe, by the way, that chû: is now written
    !Xung though whether or not the speakers are
    literate and make use of a practical orthography

    A couple of errors were corrected in the version
    which is on my web site (including the title);
    that document has been sent to UTC and WG2. In
    the first sentence it suggests that chû: is
    "Kxoe", but on further research this seems to be
    a different language. I think chû: is what the
    Ethnologue calls Kung-Ekoka (in Namibia).