Re: Medieval CJK race-horse names (was Re: Bantu click letters )

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 10:57:18 CDT

    On Jun 11, 2004, at 6:44 AM, Andrew C. West wrote:

    > Depite the oft-mentioned cutesy Hong Kong race horse names,
    > idiosyncratic
    > invented Han ideographs are a negligible component of the encoded CJK
    > repertoire. In my opinion there are thousands, possibly tens of
    > thousands, of
    > ideographs that should not really have been encoded individually as
    > they are
    > simply minor glyph variants, frequently only attested in a single
    > source because
    > the author simply wrote the character wrongly in the first place. This
    > is the
    > real issue with the over-encoding of CJKV, not the occasional race
    > horse name.

    In particular, the decision to import en masse the repertoire of the
    Hanyu Da Zidian was not a wise one, as a substantial number of the
    entries are of the form "same as X".

    Using variation selectors with Han is really the proper solution for
    that kind of thing. Nonce Latin forms such as experimental notations
    would probably best be handled via the PUA.

    And the proper solution for the race horse problem is for the People's
    Hong Kong Jockey Club to refuse to let a horse race unless its name is
    in Unicode. :-)

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com