Re: proposal for a "creative commons" character

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 16:26:21 CDT

    > The Creative Commons (http://www.creativecommons.org) is devoted to
    > expanding the range of creative work available for others to build upon
    > and share. While technically they use copyright to do so, the creative
    > commons has this neat symbol that looks just like a copyright (00A9)
    > except that it has two letter c's inside the circle instead of one.
    > Thus, it looks like (cc) instead of (c). There are some other symbols
    > they have also created which can be seen on this page:
    > http://creativecommons.org/license/

    > Without getting greedy, I'd like to propose the adoption of the (cc)
    > symbol in whatever way would be most expedient (so that creative commons
    > authors can identify their work more appropriately), and leave for later
    > the question of the other symbols.

    Well, I have a logo too and it sure would be swell to be able to 'identify my work more
    appropriately' in plain text. But Unicode does not encode logos or other idiosyncratic marks.

    We has the same discussion a couple of years ago with the 'Copyleft' people, who wanted
    their own open source collaborative effort's logo encoded. Maybe if that had happened we
    could now have a fun argument about whether or not the Creative Commons logo is a glyph
    variant of the Copyleft logo. :)

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com