RE: Latin long vowels

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 11:19:17 CDT

    The characters you mention exist in Unicode.

    They are:

    U+014D
    U+0113
    U+0101
    U+012B
    U+016B

    (those are the lowercase letters, the uppercase versions are 1 less than the lowercase, so capital O with macron is U+014C). I've typed them into this message so you can play with fonts:

    ōēāīū
    ŌĒĀĪŪ

    These are all in the Latin Extended-A block. See p 167 of Unicode 4.0. Many fonts include these characters. Since you mention Windows XP, if you have Microsoft Office you can install the Arial Unicode MS font that contains nearly all of the characters in the first plane of Unicode. If you want to find other fonts, you can use the Character Map utility to explore the character ranges supplied by various fonts on your system.

    Best Regards,

    Addison
    Addison P. Phillips
    Director, Globalization Architecture
    http://www.webMethods.com
    Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
    http://www.w3.org/International

    It is not a feature.