Re: Latin long vowels

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 11:37:00 CDT

    On 22/06/2004 08:20, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    >>If so, would anyone know from where a Windows XP font
    >>containing these five characters could be download?
    >>

    >Several fonts which come pre-installed in Windows NT, 2000 or XP have those
    >characters, e.g. Arial, Times New Roman and Courier.
    >

    >>Aloha,
    >>

    >"Aloha"?
    >
    >Is it for Hawaiian that you need the macrons? In that case also notice that,
    >afaik, the proper character for the glottal stop letter (aka "apostrophe" or
    >"okina") is MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA (code 02BB, decimal 699).

    Which is not included in Arial, Times New Roman or Courier New. So I
    guess everyone else uses a regular apostrophe (U+0027), or "this is the
    preferred character to use for apostrophe" (U+2019), or turned comma
    (U+2018). They are less likely to pay attention to whatever Unicode
    might say in some obscure place - although not in the character charts,
    in which U+02BC is mentioned as a representation of glottal stop.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)