Re: Combining across markup?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 09:27:31 CDT

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > But does that mean that this kind
    > of text is to be ruled forever outside the scope of Unicode. I'm not
    > saying it should be plain text. But Unicode should be able to support
    > markup schemes which do allow such things.

    The plain-text requirement still applies. I can imagine wanting to use
    bold and italics and different fonts and sizes in the same document; in
    fact, I just did so yesterday. But none of these features are plain
    text, and so I did not expect them to be handled within Unicode.

    The suggestion to add a "mark-color" capability to CSS might handle a
    majority of the realistic situations where color is really understood to
    be part of the textual content. Peter's two combining marks, a black
    one in the actual manuscript and a red one added by the editor, sounds
    less like a problem that Unicode or W3C need to worry about.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/