Re: valid characters in user names- esp. compatibility characters

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 18:19:59 CDT

    Another encoding, standardized for much longer, is what IMAP uses for mailbox names. I think it does
    not have a standard charset name, but it's described in one of the IMAP RFCs. It's a modified UTF-7,
    modified to make it filename-friendly and deterministic, and may fit the bill. It's certainly useful
    to squeeze Unicode filenames into ASCII. I am sure there are many libraries with an implementation
    (ICU has one, see convrtrs.txt).

    By the way, ICU also implements IDNA and generic StringPrep.

    Best regards,
    markus

    http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/convexp?conv=IMAP-mailbox-name&b=&s=ALL