Re: Arabic Implementation

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@freeler.nl)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 21:44:09 CDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Nitin Kapoor" <nitinkapooro@hotmail.com>
    To: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Cc: <nitinkapooro@hotmail.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 3:38 AM
    Subject: Arabic Implementation

    > Hello Friends,
    >
    > I am implementing ARABIC in one of our embedded projects .I have read the
    > Unicode standard well and would like to ask a question about joining types.
    >
    > After a character changes the display form into one mentioned in Arabic
    > Presentation Form B does it still belong to a joining type.
    >
    > For example: Lets say Unicode Character : 0x0622 which is a right joining
    > type , when this changes the display form into ISOLATED FORM its Unicode
    > becomes : 0xfe81.

    NO. When 0x0622 changes its display form into ISOLATED FORM because of context it still stays 0x0622.
    Only the glyph changes, not the underlying char.

    > So does 0xfe81 also belong to Right Joining type?

    If it is really a 0xfe81 char, encoded as such, then no.

    > I am asking this question
    > because according to Derived Joining Type .txt provided by UNICODE, it
    > doesnˇ¦t have any category for characters once they change their display
    > form.
    >
    > I personally feel that a particular character belonging to a particular
    > joining type will have all its different display forms also belonging to the
    > particular joining type .

    Which is indeed what happpens if you avoid using the presentation form code points, as you should.