Re: [hebrew] Re: A new way to break the Holam deadlock?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 04:17:19 CDT

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > At 07:20 +0300 2004-08-20, Jony Rosenne wrote:
    >
    > >I did not mention them. I did mention that the code point was reserved in
    > >the Israeli submission to Unicode and ISO.
    >
    > No one is permitted to "reserve" code positions, as I have tried to
    > explain to you.

    Except in their proprietary charsets. SII maintains its own standard for the
    Hebrew charset and can reserve positions in it as it wants, without
    permission from ISO or Unicode. This is what Microsoft has done for its own
    Windows codepages, or what IBM has done in its codepages as well, or what
    Digital did on its DEC-Multinational charset (a precursor to ISO-8859-1).
    Same thing for Apple for its Mac charsets. Same thing for national standards
    such as ISCII, or Greek ELOT, or "French" ISO646 promoted by AFNOR...

    It's clear that the Hebrew block was allocated according to the legacy 8-bit
    Hebrew ISO standard, which was created according to the SII standard. But
    this does not mean, I agree, that the corresponding position reserved in the
    SII standard needs to be reserved in the 8-bit ISO standard or in ISO/IEC
    10646 (and by consequence in Unicode, as Unicode does not reserve or
    allocate codepoints itself).