Re: MSDN Article, Second Draft

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 04:44:40 CDT

    Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:
    > Could you include the followin.
    >
    > 1/
    > Why even after about 20 years of existence, the unicode is not supported by
    > any significant software and applications?

    In your eyes, don't MS Windows 2k/XP/2003, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Java,
    Plan9, BeOS, MS Office, StarOffice, Gnome, KDE, Mozilla, MS IE, ICU,
    Perl, Python
    and zillions of other programs (including OS', development tools,
    libraries) count as significant?

    > 3/
    > In the name of promoting Unicode, are we holdingback multilingual computing
    > for the next 10 years or so?

      Are you yearning for the chaotic days of tens (if not hundreds) of
    different character encodings?
    Without Unicode, multilingual features (as well as 'monolingual
    features' as well) of all the above
    would be far far worse than what they're now.

    Jungshik