Mystery of Circled S solved

From: Jörg Knappen (knappen@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 14:09:21 CDT

    Dear Unicoders, hallo Barbara

    I finally solved the mystery of the circled S which has found its way to
    the AMS math fonts. It is indentified as a letterlike symbol still missing
    from UNicode:

    GESCHUETZTE SORTE

    looks like: S in a circle

    meaning: A protected crop variety (there is a special protection
    of crop varieties in germany and now also in EU. In german it is called
    Sortenschutz and the registration agency is the Bundessortenamt)

    usage: current, in mail order garden catalogues. It is often used together
    with the registered sign.

    In the following links you can see it:
    http://www.uni-mainz.de/~knappen/asi_p58.jpg
    (from the catalogue of Ahrens + Sieberz, Spring 2004, page 58)
    http://www.uni-mainz.de/~knappen/gp_p159.jpg
    http://www.uni-mainz.de/~knappen/gp_p159a.jpg
    (from the catalogue of Gaertner Poetschke, Wundervolle Gartenwelt, Autumn
    2003)

    The latter example shows a variety which is both GESCHUETZE SORTE and
    REGISTERED.

    For the design, I suggest to use a non-superscript version, following the
    design of the registered sign.

    How it came to be included in the AMS fonts is still a mystery, since no
    mathematical use of it is known to me.

    Yours,

    J"org Knappen