markup on combining characters (was: Compatibility mappings for new Hebrew points)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 17:56:35 CDT

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > By the way, any suggestion of making the QQ distinction with markup is
    > ruled out by the principle recently expounded on the main Unicode list
    > that separate markup cannot be applied to combining characters.

    Isn't this need of allowing separate markup on combining characters
    addressed by the current proposal to encode a invisible base character
    (IBC), so that markup can be applied to a non defective combining sequence?

    I understand that this proposed new character would more likely be used to
    allow rendering isolated combining marks, without needing to encode their
    spacing variant, but the sequence <IBC,combining mark> (now possibly
    enclosed in markup) could become a candidate for possible ligaturing by
    preceding it by a ZWJ, or for word-wrap exclusion with a leading WJ...