Re: Value of U+1E20

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 04:28:25 CDT

    On 17/09/2004 03:00, Patrick Andries wrote:

    > Would any one know what is the value of U+1E20 ?
    > Is this (also) used in Semitic transliterations ? For which value ?
    > Could it be a fricative G ?

    U+1E21, the lower case of this, is sometimes used in transliterating
    Hebrew, for gimel without dagesh which is nominally a fricative variant
    of gimel, although most pronunciations do not make a distinction here.
    Such transliterations are normally lower case only, but U+1E20 would be
    used in an upper case version of this. The legacy font SIL Heb Trans
    Caps has a glyph looking like U+1E20 (but mapped to U+F067); in SIL Heb
    Trans the corresponding glyph looks like U+1E21.

    But I doubt if this is why this character is precomposed in Unicode, for
    the same transliteration scheme includes a p with macron but this is not
    precomposed in Unicode.

    Raymond mentions Arabic ghayn, but I would expect this to be
    transliterated more commonly with U+011F or U+0121.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)