RE: bit notation in ISO-8859-x is wrong

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 13:10:11 CST

            I'm not sure. As I recall (and it's been a long time), Latin
    ordinals can only be used for small quantities. Therefore I read "anno
    domine uno". Note that it is properly A.D. 1, not 1 A.D. as usually
    printed. Also note that the dual scale is bilingual - Latin in the forward
    direction and English in the reverse!

    > Cardinal numbers denote quantity, and may be negative or zero
    > as well as positive.

            I think that you are confusing a mathematical definition with the
    more common one which equates cardinal numbers and counting numbers. We do
    not speak of the "negative third year of the Clinton presidency", because no
    such year existed, likewise for B.C. and A.D..

    /|/|ike