Fw: 27th Unicode Conference - Call for Papers - Berlin, Germany - April 6-8, 2005

From: Lisa Moore (lisam@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 00:09:39 CST

      Unicoders....read below....Lisa

    Send in your submissions now!

        Twenty-seventh Internationalization and Unicode Conference (IUC27)

          Theme: Unicode, Cultural Diversity and Multilingual Computing

                                See Call for Papers at:
                    http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc27/iuc27call.html

                                   April 6-8, 2005
                                   Berlin, Germany

                         Submissions due: November 19, 2004
                       Notification date: December 8, 2004
                              Papers due: January 14, 2005

    This conference will focus on the current challenges in extending
    software to support a wider range of languages - languages of emerging
    markets and minority populations. It will explore how to make
    internationalization and localization more efficient even when extending
    support to languages with complex processing and rendering behavior.

    Internationalization for the Expanded European Union:

    On May 1, 2004, several countries joined the European Union (EU). The
    25-country EU is the world's largest trader. This "Enlargement" creates
    revenue opportunities but also imposes new internationalization and
    localization requirements for software and web applications. Applications
    will need to be evaluated for appropriate support for currency, fonts,
    translations, multilingual publishing, and character encodings, to name
    just a few criteria. IUC27 will identify these and other new requirements
    and discuss effective ways to upgrade applications to meet the new
    challenges.

    Collaboration with TILP:

    The Institute of Localisation Professionals (TILP) will chair a track
    during the conference, devoted to localization standards, tools,
    methodologies and techniques. Improving efficiencies in localization is
    key to enabling cost-effective, quick-to-market support of new language
    versions of software.

    The conference Web site has more details, numerous example topics, and
    the submission registration form:
    http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc27/iuc27call.html

    ATTENTION UNICODERS!

    If you are using Unicode as the basis for internationalizing
    and localizing software and web applications, bring your experience,
    knowledge and any remaining questions to light! We invite you to submit
    papers describing challenges you faced, lessons learned, and ideas for
    future implementation. Our audience is very interested in how Unicode and
    internationalization are being applied in the real world. Come and share
    your ideas with the peers and industry experts in attendance.

    INVITATION TO SUBMIT PAPERS

    The Internationalization and Unicode Conference (IUC) is the premier
    technical conference for software and multilingual computing, and it is
    your source for the latest information on advances in the globalization
    of software and the Internet.

    The 27th IUC features a number of presentation formats including
    tutorials,
    workshops, lectures, and panel discussions to support different learning
    styles.

    New technologies, innovative Internet applications, and the evolving
    Unicode Standard bring new challenges along with their new capabilities.
    Join us in exploring the opportunities created by the latest advances,
    understanding how to leverage them, and the potential pitfalls. Share
    your
    ideas for best practices for designing applications that can accommodate
    any language.

    Attendees benefit from the wide range of basic to advanced topics and the
    opportunities for dialog and idea exchange with experts and peers.

    We invite you to submit papers on the conference themes or topics that
    relate to Unicode or any aspect of software and Web Internationalization.

    You can view the programs of previous conferences at:
    http://www.unicode.org/unicode/conference/about-conf.html

    CONFERENCE ATTENDEES

    Conference attendees are generally involved in either the development and
    deployment of Unicode software, or the globalization of software and the
    Internet. They include managers, software engineers, testers, systems
    analysts, program managers, font designers, graphic designers, content
    developers, web designers, web administrators, site coordinators,
    technical
    writers, and product marketing personnel.

    EXHIBIT OPPORTUNITIES

    The Conference SHOWCASE area is for corporations and individuals
    who wish to display and promote their products, technology and/or
    services. Every effort will be made to provide maximum exposure,
    advertising and traffic.

    Exhibit space is limited. For further information or to reserve a
    place, please contact Global Meeting Services at
    info@global-conference.com.

    THE UNICODE CONSORTIUM

    The Unicode Consortium is a non-profit organization dedicated to
    the development, maintenance and promotion of The Unicode
    Standard, a worldwide character encoding. The Unicode Standard
    encodes the characters of the world's principal scripts and
    languages, and is code-for-code identical to the international
    standard ISO/IEC 10646. The Consortium also defines character
    properties and algorithms for use in implementations. The
    membership base of the Unicode Consortium includes major computer
    corporations, software producers, database vendors, research
    institutions, international agencies and various user groups.

    For further information on the Unicode Standard, visit the
    Unicode Web site at http://www.unicode.org or e-mail info@unicode.org
                               * * * * *

    Unicode(r) and the Unicode logo are registered trademarks of Unicode, Inc.
    Used with permission.