Re: Luiseño Character "S WITH STROKE"

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 21:59:49 CST

    Clark Cox <clarkcox3 at gmail dot com> wrote:

    >> The characters are "majuscule S with a diagonal stroke", and
    >> "minuscule s with a diagonal stroke". This letter is used to
    >> represent a voiceless retroflex fricative, which is distinct from the
    >> alveolar fricative "s" and the palato-alveolar "sh".
    >
    > What's wrong with <U+0073, U+0338> and <U+0053, U+0338>?

    The preferred approach seems to be to encode these precomposed
    letters-with-diagonal-slash separately, and simply not include canonical
    decompositions for them.

    I think I remember reading that the rationale is that the decomposed
    versions are harder for rendering engines to compose on the fly,
    compared to letters with "ordinary" diacritics that sit above or below
    the letter.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/