Re: Arabic IM/font

From: Karljurgen Feuerherm (kfeuerherm@wlu.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 09:25:24 CST

    Thanks, Ed, for this useful information.

    I think between the various suggestions offered by members of this list, I should be able to get where I am going. So I suspect we can consider this thread terminated....

    Many thanks to all,

    >>> "Edward H. Trager" <ehtrager@umich.edu> 27/10/2004 11:44:33 am >>>
    Hi, Karljürgen,

    Arabeyes (http://www.arabeyes.org/) is a meta project that aims to provide full support
    for Arabic in the GNU/Linux environment. Although geared toward GNU/Linux, they also provide
    (or provide links to) vector fonts (TrueType, possibly also OTF) which will certainly also
    work on Windows and quite possibly also on OSX. Arabeyes also has some other very interesting
    projects, including ITL (Islamic Tools and Libraries) which has a Hijri date library, and
    Katoob (a light weight, multi lingual, BIDI-aware text editor based on the Gtk+ 2 library)
    which might meet your text input needs if Yudit (http://www.yudit.org) isn't sufficient.
    The version of Yudit that I have installed (2.7x) comes with two Arabic keyboards pre-installed.

    -- Edward Trager
       Bioinformatics
       Kellogg Eye Center
       University of Michigan, USA