Re: basic-hebrew RtL-space ?

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@freeler.nl)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 00:47:52 CST

    > I've never understood why writing Hebrew or Arabic left-to-right is
    > called "visual" order anyway. These are RTL scripts; they are supposed
    > to be not only written, but also read, right-to-left. Wouldn't a reader
    > of Hebrew or Arabic consider RTL to BE the "visual" order?

    I see it thusly:

    If this reader _consistently_ codes RTL, storeing latin script backwards, then this RTL would indeed be a visual order.

    Likewise, if you _consistently_ store logical order backwards, so to pronounce the base chars chronologically you work from the end
    of the file to the beginning that would still be a logical order.

    Chris