Re: not font designers?

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 18:57:04 CST

    I'm trying to be a font designer, but I wouldn't say that's my
    profession (nobody's ever paid me for a font, though I'm hoping to
    change that within the next few weeks). I guess I occasionally design
    fonts, but I'm a computer programmer/researcher/unlicensed brain
    mainly. I've used and designed text databases, I've done linguistics...
    I'm also a pretty good cook and can fold my tongue into a W.

    Labels are just that, and generally as helpful in understanding people
    as the ones on their clothes (I think I'm wearing a Lands' End shirt;
    does that change things?) Even most type-designers aren't
    type-designers. There's a lot more to typography and typesetting than
    drawing letters.

    ~mark