Re: not font designers?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 19:10:47 CST

    Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

    > Alas, it's about me, Doug. The reason, as far as I can see, is that
    > Ms Keown has taken it into her head that I (for instance) who am not
    > a Semiticist, am nothing more than a font designer, and that my
    > ability to design fonts is the only reason I believe that the
    > Phoenician script (and the family of related scripts unified with it)
    > is a different script from Square Hebrew.

    But didn't someone already point out that with OpenType tables, it would
    be relatively easy to map "alternate" Phoenician glyphs to the existing
    Hebrew code points?

    This seems to indicate that simply being a "font designer" in 2004 would
    not be enough to favor separate encoding of Phoenician. There would
    have to be other reasons...

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/