Re: not font designers?

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 14:06:44 CST

    So it appears that this thread which some feared as possibly "off topic"
    has resulted in at least two positive outcomes, or I think it has.

    ==> One, we have had some introductions to at least some of the people on
        the list. Not a statistical sampling, but very informative nonetheless.

    ==> Two, I think this thread makes it all too clear that Unicode Consortium
        members (and all those on this list who might wish to influence the outcome
        of things) need to *thoughtfully consider* the concept not only of
        "significant nodes" for scripts in a historical context, but also
        --some might see this as far-fetched-- in a future context as well.

        Rather than dredge up the Phonecian vs. Hebrew debates, hopefully the
        respective experts here can begin to focus more on the "big picture"
        of how human scripts --as with all things-- change over time.

        What changes in concepts and in the wording of concepts presented in
        the latest version of the Unicode Standard should be made to clearly
        convey the idea of the continuous evolution of human scripts?

        How does the Unicode Standard effectively address the realities of
        what one might, for lack of a better term at the moment, refer to as the
        "punctuated equilbria" of human script evolution?

        How is, or is not, Unicode going to support the scholarly endeavours
        of researchers who study ancient scripts and the history of those
        scripts?

    Human languages and human scripts are not static as we all know by examining
    history, and they won't somehow become static in the future just because
    of recognized standards like Unicode. If we want Unicode to last a long, long
    time as a meaningful standard --at least hundreds if we cannot imagine thousands
    of years-- then these things need to be considered.

    While the Unicode code space is by definition mathematically finite, still it is
    for all practical intents and purposes a very large code space that should be
    able to incorporate the "legitimate needs" of scholars, researchers, historians,
    among others. Regardless of whether one agrees completely or not about the encoding
    of Phoenecian in Unicode, I --perhaps naively I admit-- fail to see how it does
    any more harm than the encoding of that HUGE number of "CJK Unified Ideographs
    Extension B" which, as far as I can tell (given my lack of scholarship in this area),
    is of more use to esoteric scholars
    than it is to ordinary speakers and writers of Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.
    It is no worse than the encoding of a large number of Arabic ligatures --a clear
    case of encoding glyphs, not characters-- that occurred in Unicode to support legacy
    systems that had already been defined for Arabic at the time when Unicode came around.
    Thankfully a similar thing did not happen for, say, Syriac. It is no worse than
    the encoding of Hangul syllables.

    I don't closely follow what additional planes of Unicode are being designated
    for, but perhaps there should be a plane set aside for the encoding of historical
    "script nodes" that would be useful to scholars, but not as useful to others.
    Then again, perhaps I'm too naive in this area to know what I'm talking about ... ;-)

    - Ed Trager